Wednesday 30 April 2014

PDP - Hopes, Fears and Opportunities



I fear that I’ll be found out. And I hope I won’t be.

What am I? A graphic designer.

"And what’s that, then?"

Ermm….

"Hah! You’re nothing but a charlatan!"

Graphic design is the art of communication, stylizing, and problem-solving through the use of type, space and image’ according to Wikipedia. But is it a science, or an art?

I read somewhere, I can’t remember where, that ‘Magicians’, who come up with a product or solution out of their own imaginations, are paid less than ‘Scientists’, who use, or claim to use, a rational path towards their final decision. The reason being that people think of the magician, ‘Oh, anyone could do that’, whereas the scientist has a huge arsenal of confusing facts and figures to convince the public that what he does is far too hard for them to comprehend.

So, which one are we?

Paula Scher wrote – again, I can’t remember where – that she often comes up with THE idea for a brief in a flash of inspiration, then spends ages thinking up two or three less good options. Because if she gives the first, best solution to the client TOO soon, they’ll think “Huh! Didn’t take long. So it can’t be worth much”. The multiple options, and the time taken, prove that work, long, scientific, expensive work has gone into the product. So they think she’s a scientist, not a magician. But in these cases she IS a magician.

With me, it’s almost always an idea from the blue. I’m not even sure what the scientific approach is, apart from looking at what others have done first. So that makes me a magician. And as I’m not so hot on justifying my decisions – with secondary research, for example - one day someone might call my bluff.

Opportunities – well, after my conversation with Patrick Harvey at Love studios I’m slightly more inclined to believe that I might get a proper job in some shape or form. I’m certain it won’t be a conventional graphic designer’s career path – see reasons above, amongst others – but I reckon now there’s a niche somewhere. Perhaps in branding or marketing. And one of the studios we visited got quite agitated when I asked what was their policy on working for an evil client. Obviously touched a nerve there. Now I’m quite relaxed about going over to the dark side, and prepared to be up front about it. If you’re going to be a villain, at least be a full – on, moustache – twirling villain.

And then, as ever, there’s the craft option. I’ve made a pretty good portfolio at my first attempt. Can you buy such things from a British manufacturer? Not to my knowledge. You have to send off to foreign lands and pay a hefty premium for the privilege. So I’m giving serious consideration to taking portfolio construction forward, at least as a sideline. The £44 I spent at Ratchfords bought me enough material to make at least four similar items, so the profit margin is there – just a matter of streamlining the process. Will I need a bigger portfolio to present all my portfolios in?


No comments:

Post a Comment